- Gastrointestinal disorders , such as nausea, constipation and diarrhea, dry mouth or extra saliva formation, and problems with swallowing, and changed appetite, namely more or less appetite. Because of this also changes in body weight.
- Headache and dizziness. These side effects usually disappear after a while if you get used to the medicine.
- Sweating and heart palpitations.
- Dry eyes. People with contact lenses in particular may suffer from dry eyes.
- Skin rash and itching . Usually this is harmless, but (very rarely) the symptoms can be serious. Consult your doctor if the result looks unusual, if you suffer from it, or if you also get a fever or blisters.
- Dependence. You may experience withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking them. With short-term use the chance of this is very small. People who use this medicine for more than two consecutive months have a good chance of this. Therefore always reduce gradually if you have used this medicine for more than two months.
- Vivid dreams or nightmares, usually in the early morning.
- Unrest and irritability . So opposite symptoms than you would expect from this medicine. Also delusions and hallucinations occur. Children and the elderly in particular are sensitive to these side effects. Consult the doctor for these symptoms. A lower dose or other medicine may be required.
- Memory loss of events that occur while taking this medication. For example, events at night.
- Depressive feelings can come to light.
- Less desire for sex .
Consult your doctor if you experience too many of the side effects listed above or if you experience other side effects that you are concerned about.
Always consult your doctor first if you intend to use medication .
Also read the patient information leaflet for information about the use of this medicine (Xanax).